Gas Motor Bicycle


Shawn asked: I just got a brand-new 50 cc motorized bicycle (gas powered) for Christmas and I’m 16 do I need a license to ride around town.


To legally ride your vehicle you must register it as a moped and have a driver’s license.

s. 316.003 – Definitions

(27) “Moped” means any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.

See this post for more details and DMV Procedure 68 to register a gas assist motorized bicycle:

Leave a Reply