Bikes on Beaches

Question

John asked:  Can I ride on Florida beaches with a fat tired bike? I have seen this in Cocoa but not any other beaches. If so, what are the restrictions? County or City restrictions?

Answer

There is no state statute that addresses that.  You can search local ordinances for cities and counties using the Municodes.  Please see this post:

Posted in Ask Geo, Misc Tagged with: ,
6 comments on “Bikes on Beaches
  1. Toby says:

You just have to have one red light on your bike at night in Indian Rocks Beach, no restrictions on daytime riding, no front light at night, they say it disturbs the turtles

2. Geo says:

s. 316.2065 – Bicycle Regulations
    (7) Every bicycle in use between sunset and sunrise shall be equipped with a lamp on the front exhibiting a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front and a lamp and reflector on the rear each exhibiting a red light visible from a distance of 600 feet to the rear.

Local authorities are prohibited from enacting ordinances that contradict state statutes without authorization.

s. 316.007 – Provisions Uniform Throughout State.
    The provisions of this chapter shall be applicable and uniform throughout this state and in all political subdivisions and municipalities therein, and no local authority shall enact or enforce any ordinance on a matter covered by this chapter unless expressly authorized.

If anyone knows the authority for “enacting an ordinance on a matter covered” by s. 316.2065 above, please post same here. My guess is that there is a Federal law about turtle protection, but I don’t know.

3. John Moll says:

Try riding a bike on the beach at Honeymoon State Park A Park Ranger told me that was not allowed by her and I could be arrested if I even walked my bike on the beach.

4. Geo says:

According to the home page of the Park site, bicycles are only permitted in certain areas.

“Wheel Fun Rentals – Tour the park on a surrey or beach cruiser available for rent at the Cafe Honeymoon. For your safety, remember persons under the age of 16 years are required by state law to wear a properly fitting bike helmet. To preserve the natural areas of the park, bicycles are limited to roadways and are not permitted on any footpaths or beach areas.
    Contact , (727) 728-5773”

5. John Moll says:

How does walking a bicycle on a path or on a beach not preserve the natural areas of a City, County or State Park ? Even in Harvard Square walking a bicycle is allowed.

6. john moll says:

Geo. I got cited for wallking a huffy Walmart fat tire bicycle on the north beach by an officer Ferguson driving a Ford pickup on the beach. The fine is $105. The ticket number is 287201C. This was on February 24 , 2016. I will fight this absurd charge in court on March 24.