Which Side of the Road?

Question

Rachel asked:  I was riding north on the southbound side of the bridge.  I feel safer because I can see the cars coming towards me.  I got stopped and was told I had to ride on the northbound.  What is the law on which side of the road to ride?

Answer

Cyclists are operating vehicles and are required to travel in the same direction as other drivers when in the roadway.

s. 316.2065 – Bicycle Regulations

(1) Every person propelling a vehicle by human power has all of the rights and all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle….

s. 316.081 Driving on Right Side of Roadway; Exceptions

(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway….

There are many reasons for the laws as they are written.  It has been well documented that it is much safer to be traveling in the same direction as other traffic.  Drivers do not expect to see vehicles coming toward them on the right and do not have as much time to react.  Riding against traffic is particularly dangerous at intersections and driveways.  Signs and signals may not be visible.  Drivers preparing to enter the roadway frequently do not look to the right.

The relative closure rate for a bicyclist traveling at 15 mph and a motor vehicle at 35 mph in the same direction is 20 mph.  If traveling in opposite directions, the closure rate is 50 mph.

Even though cyclists on sidewalks are not required to ride in the same direction as roadway traffic , the same hazards (And many others) are present.

Posted in Ask Geo, Lane Width & Sharing Tagged with:
11 comments on “Which Side of the Road?
  1. Frank says:

Look at it this way too…

What if I’m riding my bike southbound, while you’re riding north on the southbound side….
    How do we pass each other? Especially if there is no bike lane.
    Think about how dangerous that is..
    FYI… This happens to me CONSTANTLY.
    It’s so incredibly dangerous. I can not tell you enough..
    Especially since I ride an electric bicycle and I’m constantly going 20mph..
    If I’m coming over a bridge and your also coming over on the same side of the road, it’s going to create disasterous results.
    Please, please, please, everyone ride on the correct side of the road.

2. Patrick says:

I frequently bike up and down Morris Bridge Road from Cross Creek Road to get to the entrance of Flat Woods Park in New Tampa, which is about a 3 mile stretch. The road is one lane each way, and has a narrow dedicated bike lane strip on each side.

Earlier this week I was nearly run over by a mini-van that had drifted halfway into the bike lane and continued to ride toward me either without noticing that they were approaching a cyclist in a lane they should not be driving in, or not caring. End result was that I was forced off the bike lane and crash into a ditch, causing injury to myself and to my road bike. The offending vehicle never slowed down or stopped to see if I was alright.

Due to the frequency of vehicles drifting into the bike lanes on that road, I’ve taken to riding in the opposite direction of traffic (in the dedicated bike lanes), which in this case I am positive saved my life. Had I been biking with the flow of traffic on that side, the vehicle would surely have run me down.

I would like some legal clarification as to Florida laws with regard to my situation and if there is ever any scenario where riding within a dedicated bike lane and not in the direction of traffic on that side is legal, or at least defensible from a legal stand point. Also, there are no directional markers in the bike lanes on Morris Bridge Road. The conditions on Morris Bridge road are so hazardous that being forced to ride with traffic and getting clipped from behind with no warning makes using those bike lanes effectively unusable.

It makes no rational sense that people are forced to choose between possibly violating a law in order to be able to more effectively avert disaster, or risk being hit by a vehicle without warning in order to comply with a law or statue. And yes, I do understand the math regarding collision speed difference when riding with or against traffic, but would argue that more cyclists would be alive today had they been aware that a vehicle was trespassing into their lane, than not.

Unfortunately I did not get the license plate of the driver that nearly killed me, but is there some legal recourse I should pursue?

Sincerely,
    Patrick

3. Geo says:

There is no legal justification for riding against traffic in the roadway, whether there is bike lane or not.

4. Frank S. says:

My question for you is what would happen if I wanted to ride in the opposite (with traffic) direction as you on that same road?
    The other part is that if you were riding in the same direction as the minivan, the minivan would have more time to avoid you.
    The reason for uniform rules is for safety first. All studies done, have shown it is safer to ride with traffic then against it.
    If you are that worried about a rear collision, I would suggest you buy one or two rear view mirrors, like I have.

5. RICHARD BROWN says:

TOTALY DISAGREE WITH THE LAW. YOU SHOULD RIDE YOUR BIKE ‘AGAINST’ THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC THEN YOU CAN AT LEAST SEE WHOS GOING TO KILL YOU!

6. joshua says:

well im one that leans more to riding against traffic and heres why, i have been hit twice from behind one mini van clipped me nd i landed in a ditch and a month later it was a pick up truck…. i always went against traffic unless it was dark otherwise the beams would blind me untill i got stoped by a cop…. but the way i feel and as i explained to her… if yuh ever get into an accident riding north bound on a south bound it your personal fault cuz it is true people getting into the street will not look or see yuh at times cuz there not expecting it and it lets yuh judge if the driver coming at you is SOBER!! if your driving with the flow yuh dnt knoe how close or far the car is to yuh or even if the driver is drunk. i personly feel it shouldnt be AGAINST the law to drive against traffic it should just be on your own responsibitys cuz yuh have the chance to avoid all accident unlike going with traffic.

7. Charlie says:

If you choose to ride on Morris Bridge Rd., either direction then make sure you have your will and affairs in good order. In other words expect to die or suffer major injuries. I’m a confident, competent and experienced cyclist who rode once from Flatwoods to Chancey Rd. ….never again. It’s hardly safe to drive on that road let alone ride a bike. It’s a sad state of affairs but that’s the way it is. I carry my bikes on a rack to the park and I’m glad to pay the park $2 for the privelidge. Until the time comes when there is a dedicated and guarded bike lane(another lifetime) then stay safe and drive your bike to your destination. Accidents happen but there are still far too many motorists who will not share the road or just plain don’t like cyclists.

8. Geo says:

It is recommended that you and other cyclists get involved and go to organizations that can effect change. Are you a regular participant in the Bike/Ped Advisory Committee and do you and your cycling friends attend County and City Commission meetings and express your concerns? Do you report all violations to the police? Are you in contact with the agency having jurisdiction over the construction and repair of the roadway?

You can have an impact. For example, a group of cyclists observed that the a state roadway in Palm Beach County was being resurfaced without bike lanes in contradiction to state law and the agency’s own directives. The group took action and eventually got a favorable ruling at the Florida Court of Appeal that is now a state-wide precedent. It took along time and was very difficult, but it got done. That precedent has been used (By me) in another location in the state to insure proper facilities are installed when there is any change to a state roadway. There are many other examples of empowered cyclists taking effective action to improve the cycling environment.

Too often, cyclists expect someone else to do it for them. For example, are all the readers of this article members and active participants in the Florida Bicycle Association or another advocacy organization. If not, why not? They can get action. See the recent post about blinkies at

9. Teev says:

Driving tests should make drivers more aware of push bikes like uk tests cars should slow down indicate to go around them then there would be less accidents in Florida the test is ridiculas any idiot can pass it and it causes deaths